Flint Hill Baptist Church
Call Us at (706) 232-8121

This is the day that the Lord has made.... rejoice in it!

The history of our church...

History


Flint Hill Baptist Church was organized in 1894 with 18 members present. The earlier church records from 1894 to 1900 were lost in a fire when Mr. Obe Formby's house burned. Some of the Charter Members were Marion Scoggins, W.F. Noles, W.H. McCollum, Charles and Ella (McCollum) Smith and Lewis Shell.

After securing the services of Rev. W.F. Whitlow, the first service was held in the Culvers Chapel building. Later, the congregation held services in the Flint Hill School. The congregation later built a Bush Arbor.

In 1894, Marion Scoggins donated land for the purpose of constructing a church. The property was located on Wax Road bordering Morris Road in Floyd County, Georgia.

The church was first a member of the Bethlehem Baptist Association, which consisted of churches from several counties. The first known date of an Associational Meeting was at the Bethel Baptist Church in Bartow County in 1917. In 1918, the church was given at letter of dismissal from the Bethlehem Baptist Association. From 1918 to 1953, Flint Hill Baptist Church was a member of the Polk County Baptist Association. In 1953, Flint Hill Baptist Church joined the Floyd County Baptist Association, where it remains a member as of today.

Today's facilities include a sanctuary, pastor's study/office, and five classrooms in the main building. A three bedroom pastorium was erected in 1954, which is now used for children's church, church office and classrooms. In 1960, an annex was completed and contains an assembly room and six classrooms; it now contains the nursery and classrooms. A Christian Life Center was built in 1983 consisting of a kitchen, dining area, gym, twelve classrooms, and two assembly rooms.

In 2008, Flint Hill Baptist Church served as the Community Volunteer Headquarters after a devastating tornado tore through our area on March 15 causing severe structural damage to many homes, personal injuries, and loss of two lives. For weeks, the church provided volunteers, volunteer and victim meals, a staging area for volunteer assignments from local emergency agencies, and other clean-up and recovery needs of the community.

Flint Hill Baptist Church remains a thriving church with the focus of serving the Lord Jesus through service to its members and the community. Leadership is provided by Staff and the Board of Deacons. Services offered include Sunday Bible Study for all ages and Worship Service in the morning and Bible Study in the evening preceded by Adult Choir Practice. On Wednesday evening the Awana program is offered in the Christian Life Center for children and youth, while adults enjoy Bible Study in the sanctuary. Also, Men's Brotherhood and Women's Missionary Union (WMU) meet regularly. The Flint Hill Baptist Church Family invites and welcomes you and your family and friends to join us soon to worship our living God!

PASTORS SERVING

FLINT HILL BAPTIST CHURCH

1894 W.P. Whitlow

1900 H.T.R. Marks

1902 W.H. Morgan

1904 H.H. Popham

1906 W.P. Whitlow

1908 D.M. Turner

1911 W.P. Whitlow

1916 A.J. Garner

1924 R.J. Smith

1930 R.C. Daily

1932 R.J. Smith

1934 J.F. Wallace

1942 J.S. Garner

1943 H.E. Green

1949 O.D. Hall

1950 T.J. Balliew

1952 J.R. Head

1954 J.W. Barday

1960 Joe Spain

1962 Dewey L. Penson

1967 Wescott Holloway

1970 Emerson Lyle

1973 James L. Crane

1977 Tommy D. Frost

1979 Don Spears

2020 Chris Johnson